Snake River Catfish Action

A portion of the Snake River makes up the border between Idaho and Oregon and I’ve lived almost my entire life in its general vicinity. Here is what happens when you rig up with some good ol’ stinky rotten meat and drop it on the bottom of the Snake River:

Joe with a Snake River catfish.

Joe Strassburg with a Snake River catfish.

Of course the fishing had to take place while I was out of town – or so my brother says.  I’ll dig to the bottom of that story at a later date.  Anyways, the short of it all is that our cousin’s husband, Joe, was in town and looking for someone to fish the river with him. Todd obliged and between them caught twelve catfish in just a couple hours of fishing. That’s what’s known as fun.

Todd Sorenson with one of twelve cats.

Todd Sorenson with one of twelve cats.

Comments

9 Responses to “Snake River Catfish Action”

1. The Hunter's Wife on August 17th, 2009 11:40 am

That’s a lot of catfish in just a couple of hours.

2. Arthur on August 17th, 2009 12:15 pm

How convenient that you were gone when the brother decided to go fishing. I’m detecting some sibling rivalry right there. Those are some great cats, though. And it looks like everyone was having a great time……..except you of course, Tom, because you were out of town!

3. Tom Sorenson on August 17th, 2009 6:01 pm

Arthur – yeah, I’m going to check and double check this story. If I missed out on a quality fishing trip with no good reason, I might have to be upset! Or pretend to be at the very least.

4. Michael in Boise on August 17th, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi, I was searching for a place to take my two young kids and wife to go camping where i could also go cat fishing from the bank near our camp grounds and i came across your blog entree.
    We are looking for some where in Idaho and preferably within 2-3 hours from Boise.
    We were considering Oxbow and Brownlee but, just not sure where might be a good spot/camp ground or maybe there is a better spot on the snake that is closer??.
    I’m not asking for your honey holes but, if you can make a general area suggestion or give me some ideas, it would be very much appreciated!

5. Bonneville Mariner on August 19th, 2009 8:56 am

Catching a catfish is something I have yet to accomplish. Eating a nice catfish is another story, however.

I love the Snake. Beautiful, beautiful river.

6. Tom Sorenson on August 20th, 2009 8:16 am

Catfish are a blast to catch – and in the right time of year, are good eating as you well know! I love the Snake River, too – unfortunately I have to admit that the stretch of river that flows by us isn’t the beautiful river many people know. By us its just a big flat, slow, lazy river.

7. Shana on August 25th, 2009 1:20 pm

Hey guys! Great pictures!!! Would you mind sending me copies?? :) Sorry to miss you and Shanna and the newest little one, Tom!

8. Mel on November 24th, 2009 8:22 am

Enjoyed reading the Catfish story. Believe it or not, I was floating the river one today over your way and hooked several Catfish that were sipping some sort of fly off the surface. I used a Parachute Adams. Only happened once, though. Whoda’ thunk it!

9. Tom Sorenson on November 24th, 2009 9:20 am

I’ll be danged, Mel! Catfish do the strangest things…I was once fishing for largemouth with a topwater buzz bait and caught one of the largest catfish I’ve caught to date!