Fashions in the Wilds

Sometimes I sit down to write about a subject and know before I start that I’m going to get myself in hot water somewhere along the line.  With a subject that includes ladies, hunting, and fashions I’m guaranteed problems and some of them could probably come from my own household when I show a few pictures.  Oh well, poor judgement never stopped me from writing before so why let it stop me now.   Maybe I need to make a little disclaimer here to my bride so I’m not making my own supper for the next week.  Dear, you look good in anything.

This whole subject never entered my mind until Terry over at Women’s Hunting Journal wrote a product review a month or two ago.  Since then in watching outdoor shows I’ve given the subject matter a little more notice.  I’ve found it kind of a source of humor to watch fashion become a bit more important than the actual hunt.  Have you seen a young lady in stalk mode camo’d from top to bottom with the ear rings glittering in the sun light? No wonder its never been of interest to me as the hunt is why we are out there and to make a hunt successful shouldn’t the most important things include practicality, comfort, usefulness.  This I understand leaves the door wide open because there are hundreds of ideas on what would determine this.  But some of these clothes that are coming out are obviously fashion first.  That’s fine, but please don’t call them hunting clothes.  Maybe lounging around the lodge or house clothes, but not hunting clothes.

Sue and I just got back from spending a week in eastern Idaho bow hunting elk from a tent and several times I found myself ribbing her about her fashion statements in clothing.  She definitely puts usefulness ahead of looks, but when its zero degrees out you have a tendency to do that.  She also likes to haul along everything that she may need to use (I talked her out of the kitchen sink) so she can appear a bit balky at times.  She is a fan of wool in wet and cold weather which does not compliment a ladies figure, but she’s never hesitated wearing it.  I got to looking at her one day and recognized the wool pants as a pair I had bought for myself when we first married and the first time she washed them they were no longer my size.  Her wool shirt I have no idea where it came from.  I remember wearing it one time but I think she had figured out by this time how to make my stuff, her stuff.

PC250816 Now here is a real classic.. it was about 4 degrees above zero, wind was a blowing and we had the ATV out doing a little scouting the evening before our first day hunt.  Nice hat – its camo though.  Carhart bibs she chose ahead of the camo coveralls I bought her, because of fit.  The coat is the only thing that kind of looks in place – not real flattering, but its all practical I’d guess.

PC300865  I asked her about the camo outfit and the white hat.  Her answer was when an animal saw her crouched in the sage brush she wanted to look like a snow covered rock.  Can’t argue with that as it looked pretty convincing to me.  That Camo coat I believe was the 6th layer.  Not real fashionable, but effective.

PC300866 I may not survive putting  this picture in here, but this is her lodge (tent) get up.  I’ll have to agree a little, that some of this could stand some improvements.  But even in the tent the temp wasn’t real hot at times so I sure wasn’t going to argue with her comfort level.

P9280767 I had to go back and see how fashionable she was on her deer hunt and got some more chuckles.  I believe she bought the pants (yeah, they are guys, but they fit better then mine do on her) and she likes them.  But that shirt I remember twenty years ago when it fit me. O how we change.  That vest is the remains of a long sleeve shirt I had, she actually makes it look pretty good.  I believe she wears it for the extra pockets.  Can’t forget the hat from Wal-mart, it says Remington on it and since she has a grandson named ‘Remington’, thats fashionable enough for her, and Mr. buck didn’t seem to mind.

I’m sure the industry in its infancy has gotten a little carried away with looks and fashions, but hopefully it will start leaning a little more to practicallity, usefulness, and comfort in the field wither its in the desert or in the mountains of Alaska.  There’s a lot of ladies out there that are serious hunters and they do deserve a little more attention when it comes to their clothing needs.

Comments

9 Responses to “Fashions in the Wilds”

1. Rick on January 6th, 2010 7:44 am

My hat is off to ya and if your not around later I think we will put two and two together and figure out what happened. LOL

Maybe it will help if you tell her that the buck she is holding in that picture is an awesome buck and I said congratulations, maybe it will help her forget your post or maybe not.

2. Chip Hunnicutt on January 6th, 2010 8:32 am

Our wives would get along nicely! “Warmth & comfort” are her standards, and usually it means grabbing my jacket b/c she can layer more underneath.

3. Terry Scoville on January 6th, 2010 8:36 am

Gary,
    I am still chuckling and I doubt you be eating alone. I too have never been accused of being fashionable, in the field or at home. Trust me I’ve got plenty of friends who can attest to this. None the less you are spot on in your assessment of “camo fashion” vs camo function for women. I hope that mfg will start to get the point of sincerely meeting women’s camo clothing needs. We hunt every bit as hard as you guys and in all types of conditions too. Thank you for the mention and for boldly going where few men dare to go, let alone publicly!!! You are welcome in my camp, duck blind, goose pit and home anytime.

4. Terry Scoville on January 6th, 2010 8:37 am

Gary,
    I am still chuckling and I doubt you’ll be eating alone. I too have never been accused of being fashionable, in the field or at home. Trust me I’ve got plenty of friends who can attest to this. None the less you are spot on in your assessment of “camo fashion” vs camo function for women. I hope that mfg will start to get the point of sincerely meeting women’s camo clothing needs. We hunt every bit as hard as you guys and in all types of conditions too. Thank you for the mention and for boldly going where few men dare to go, let alone publicly!!! You are welcome in my camp, duck blind, goose pit and home anytime.

5. Arthur on January 6th, 2010 9:23 am

Oh, Gary, how incredibly brave you are. I think the ladies look cute in any hunting gear they wear. And I’m saying that to be honest, and not because I’m afraid my wife may read this.:):)

6. Terri Lee Pocernich on January 6th, 2010 7:13 pm

I have one word for you before you eat crow for your dinner that Sue is not cooking : ) . Prois. Their slogan is take pride in not being one of the guys. If you have seen any of my “early years” hunting pictures, they are much like the ones you have posted only add in some beautiful blaze orange to the mix. lol. Now that I have found the Prois line, I get to have feminine looking, functional, quality, comfortable, hunting clothing. Now if they would just let me wear my camo to the Holiday party…

7. Gary Sorenson on January 6th, 2010 11:46 pm

News Flash – I not only got let in the door tonight but I got fed supper, and so far no crow. Maybe she’s saving the crow to serve with the bill I get when she goes shopping. I appreciate all your concerns for my health, but I’m one lucky guy as she does have a sense of humor too.

Terri Lee, I think what we are experiencing is quite normal. Any new industry doesn’t have something for everyone right off the bat. Thier initial focus is toward the largest sales possiblities. Just look what has happened in the mens camo clothing over the years and how its grown. Now you pick up a catalog and its mind boggling as to how much stuff is out there. Much of it looks redundant, but there is markets for all the little differnces each has. Hopefully in time the ladies choices will become as plentiful also. I’ll be the first to admit that not all mens clothing out there is practical for my needs either, but I do find what works. One of the complaints which Terry had and Sue has is pockets. Enough of them and size of them. When you are trucking the hills all day you need them and in a place where they are handy. Binoc’s, rangefinders, cow calls, wind puffers etc. and they all have to be at the finger tips. I am confident that the industry will evolve where it covers everyones needs but till then it will leave the door open for some of us to try new recipes for crow. I gotta remember to take the feathers off next time.

8. John C. Martin (Western Wanderer) on January 14th, 2010 11:20 am

As the father of three girls, I’ve bought several sizes of camo for the local turkey hunts. It is quite a bonding experience taking these young ladies to Bass Pro or Cabelas. Inevitably the growth rate of these girls means hand me downs are seldom worn out. Bright side is the 3 year old will have plenty to choose from.

My solution so far, is to involve the girls in Rifle hunts more than close up archery hunts. Since they are active outside daily, work wear works fine for a pheasant hunt, or an August Blacktail drive. Hunter orange hat and we are good to go.

I think if the oldest one wants to bowhunt turkeys this Spring then my solution is going to be a black shirt in a Pop up blind. I shudder to think of the cost if we had the extent of cool bowhunting weather that would neccesitate the use of Camo jackets or other expensive quiet waterproof wear.

The proper way to address your SO’s appearance in bulky clothes is the following…Repeat after me. “Boy it is a shame to hide such a GREAT figure under all those clothes. But on the plus side it breaks up your perfect hourglass outline and I’m sure you will be more successful in the field dear.”

9. 25 Tips from 25 Hunting Industry Leaders on January 28th, 2010 5:30 pm

[…] “I’m sure the industry in its infancy has gotten a little carried away with looks and fashions, but hopefully it will start leaning a little more to practicallity, usefulness, and comfort in the field wither its in the desert or in the mountains of Alaska. There’s a lot of ladies out there that are serious hunters and they do deserve a little more attention when it comes to their clothing needs. Seriously, I’m hoping some clothing manufacturer is able to make me apologize for this because then I’ll know we have arrived already.” – from Fashions in the Wild […]