Taxidermy Project: European Mount On Arrowhead Board

My Dad just finished the European mount he did of my 2009 deer... and I couldn't be happier with the results! I took the deer with my bow, so Dad wanted to make the board he mounted it on look like an arrowhead. He drew up his own pattern and went to work... this is the great results! I love the way it turned out!

Thanks Dad!

Notice how he worked the edges of the board to make it look like chisle marks... I love the detail!

Comments

11 Responses to “Taxidermy Project: European Mount On Arrowhead Board”

1. Arthur on February 16th, 2010 7:41 pm

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! That is one great looking mount. I’m sure you’re pretty happy with it.

2. Chip Hunnicutt on February 16th, 2010 7:43 pm

Very cool!

3. Ben G. on February 16th, 2010 9:40 pm

Wow that looks so Cool! Is your Dad a professional? I’ve never done a european mount, but one of the guys in my hunting party has done a couple and I love the look.

4. suzee on February 17th, 2010 9:07 am

Arthur… it is awesome!… and I’m very happy with it!!

Ben G… My Dad doesn’t do this professionally… just for family and friends… but he sure could, and in our book he’s a professional! One thing that Dad does that I really like is he scribes the back of the skull so it will fit flush with the board or whatever surface its mounted on.

5. Dad on February 17th, 2010 10:04 am

Sue, praise from you is appreciated because you have such an artistic eye for detail. It adds to the joy of doing something special for you. Can’t wait to see what you bring me next year …might even be a buffalo. Can we travel in the cart ?

6. Terry Scoville on February 17th, 2010 10:31 am

What a wonderful mount, beautiful workmanship. Having the edges of the base scalloped does lend an authentic Native American look. I am sure you are very proud of the entire project and to have had your dad do the work is special beyond words. Enjoy!

7. mike ansel on February 18th, 2010 8:23 am

That goes together so well. Isn’t it nice to have a dad that’s handy with woodworking? I still haven’t mounted my two Euro skulls. Could I borrow your dad for a week or so?

8. suzee on February 19th, 2010 8:51 am

Dad.. wouldn’t a buffalo hunt be fun?!!… that’d be some head to mount!

Terry… your compliment really holds weight, coming from one who is a very good craftsman in your own right! … I sure wish you and my Dad could meet… I get the feeling you both have much the same work ethics!

Mike… The arrowhead design was my Dad’s idea … I think it does really make the mount special… sorry there’s too many miles between to make Dad’s skill available to you!… you’ve done some very beautiful artistic projects… you’ll come up with a beautiful mount!… I know the challenge is finding the time to do it!!

9. Bill on April 27th, 2010 6:10 pm

That mount looks great! I tend to favor European mounts over traditional mounts, for some reason, not sure why.

Great dear by the way.

10. Bill on April 27th, 2010 6:11 pm

or “deer” as the case may be…

11. phill on May 13th, 2013 8:08 am

you should put the blueprints down so we can make one of those