3D Bow Shoot Fun

Saturday was the perfect day to kick off the 2010 3D shoot season. With temps in the upper fifties/lower sixties and the sun out in full force it was awesome to be outside flinging sticks. What made it more awesome was I got to take my little boy and my wife along as I shot with my dad and brother, Todd. Todd brought his son, as well, so we had plenty of entertainment on the course. We shot this course last year, so we were somewhat prepared for what might greet us, and this year’s course did not disappoint. The scoring on this shoot was 5 points for hitting the animal, 8 points for the large circle, 10 points for the small circle. The course is set up in two separate 20 shot courses.

I started the shoot off on the very first target missing everything and busting an arrow – it was looking like it would be a long day. I took a mulligan, and promptly stuck the ram in the leg for 5 points. Convinced I’m not that poor a shooter, I whipped out the allen wrench, dropped my 30 yard pin a hair and settled in to enjoy a pretty decent day of shooting. Todd took some time to get settled in after having some sight problems of his own, but once he did, he was zipping arrows on the money. Dad was getting over an illness that had left Mom at home despite her greatest desires to join us. The effects of the bug showed after he jumped all over us early, scoring tens on his first 4 targets, but the fatigue eventually wore him down.

I shot all but the first five targets and the last five targets with my boy on my back, which I found to be very good practice. Shooting uphill with weight on the back is a bit of a challenge, and I’m not sure why I’d never really practiced with weight on my back before.

So who was the winner, you ask? If you ask Dad, he’ll say he won the first ten targets. If you ask Todd, he’ll tell you he won the back 20 (his 182 to my 181) and if you ask me, well, I’ll tell you I won the combined score with a total of 351 points out of a possible 400. Certainly not where I want to be in September, but for a March shoot, I was plenty happy. On to the pictures:

Comments

6 Responses to “3D Bow Shoot Fun”

1. Arthur on March 8th, 2010 7:35 am

This is awesome stuff!

I love seeing the kids being taken along on the 3-d shoot. Last year, I pushed my little girl around in a stroller while we shot our own personal 5 target 3-d course, and I loved it.

And, I love that you guys didn’t let the idea of taking the kids keep you from the shoot; that you embraced it, and made it special. We all need to get our kids involved in more thing such as this….I can’t tell you how much I dig this post!

I do want to know one thing, though. How many diapers had to be changed along the course?

And it looks like everyone had a great time.

2. Tom Sorenson on March 8th, 2010 8:04 am

Arthur – good question! :) We didn’t keep a scoresheet on that one, but I know it wasn’t too many – probably not as many as should have been!

3. suzee on March 8th, 2010 10:47 am

Oh boy… I knew I missed out on a great day… next shoot is in May…! ! as for the diapers… Gary said it was amusing when you all got back to the car Todd and Tom pulled out the diaper bags, lined the kids up and started changing!

4. George on April 25th, 2010 1:27 pm

This is awesome stuff!

And it looks like everyone had a great time.

5. Dennis on April 25th, 2010 10:28 pm

6. Matt on April 26th, 2010 1:14 am

This is awesome stuff!

And it looks like everyone had a great time.