Dad’s and Son’s and Fish

By Gary Sorenson

Last weekend I see Tom went fishing and sure enough, he puts up a picture of his son and wife Shanna taken while on their outing.  Then I was checking Benji’s, my oldest son’s blog, Getting Out, and there it was again, dad and his son.  It sure brought back the memories of when those dads were little tykes and catching their first fish and all the feelings I had, and now they are  having while sharing time with their sons.  I think I’ll share the three boys with their first fish and then I’ll copy Benji’s blog over here.

Benji’s was about an 8″ Crappie

Todd’s was a 17″ Rainbow Trout

And Tom’s was a fairly well squished 3.47″ Bass

Great memories are made, you just have to get out and make them!!!

Fishing with the Kid!

By Benji Sorenson

It’s about the best thing in the world for a dad to see your kids smile. And one way to make sure that happens is to take them fishing. This first picture is after about an hour of casting from a dock and catching nothing. Note the size of the smile still on his face. Proof he is a true fisherman.

Finally I figured we may as well move to a new spot since nothing was happening off the dock. On the first cast in the new spot with the 2 foot long “Cars” telescoping fishing rod the bobber starts dancing. I happened to still be holding the rod at this time as I had just cast it out there for him, so I quickly handed him the rod and he muscled this crappie in.

After that fish I pretty much handed him the rod right after I got it cast out there and he did the hooking and the catching. It was pretty much automatic after that. He had about 10 fish close enough to the bank that I counted them caught over the next 20 minutes. We both had a good old time, whooping it up with high fives, and fist bumps after every fish. These are the moments I wish I could bottle up forever. Thanks for taking me fishing son!

A cold little boy heaving up another “lunker.”

Comments

10 Responses to “Dad’s and Son’s and Fish”

1. cody waldo on April 15th, 2010 9:23 pm

tom… thats a monster! Cool, awesome pics!

2. NorCal Cazadora on April 16th, 2010 8:50 am

Wow, that is ADORABLE. Great smile indeed.

3. Al Quackenbush on April 16th, 2010 11:27 am

Memories that will stay embedded in your mind forever. Great post!

4. Arthur on April 16th, 2010 3:01 pm

What great memories, Gary; not only of the your boys when they were young, Gary, but also of the grandkids as they discover and catch their first doses of nature.

Awesome, awesome stuff.

5. gary on April 18th, 2010 5:35 pm

Cody- Sad to say he never got one bigger then that for 20 more years,(or so)(I think)………..

NorCal – To bad more folks don’t know where Great Smiles come from, eh?

Al and Arthur – We are lucky we have great memories and now its great to see all the boys building some with their own families that we can enjoy also.

6. Kelly on April 26th, 2010 2:33 pm

Awesome, awesome stuff.

7. Eric on April 27th, 2010 6:21 pm

Memories that will stay embedded in your mind forever. Great post!

8. mike ansel on April 29th, 2010 8:59 pm

I have pictures of my five daughters and one son with their first fish. What precious memories of days gone by come flooding back after reading this heartwarming blog. Now I’m collecting memories with my ten grand kids, and like you said the smiles never change.

9. my review here on June 14th, 2014 10:55 pm

my review here

Dad’s and Son’s and Fish – Base Camp Legends : Base Camp Legends

10. Lewa on June 17th, 2014 7:38 am

Nice pics. Fishing with my dad are one of my earliest, and best memories.